Moving home is renowned as being one of life’s biggest causes of stress. From all the big physical tasks such as packing and organising removals right down to the small bits of paperwork, there are many things that can often get left behind. We have created a list of some key things to remember to do when you move.
5 important things to remember when moving out of your home:
1. Provide final meter readings to your utility providers and make a note of the readings for your records.
2. Inform the bank, doctors, your place of work and anywhere else that you correspond with regularly of your move. It is also a good idea to use the Royal Mail’s Postal Redirection Service, so you don’t miss any important mail. More information about the Royal Mail’s service can be found here: https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection/
3. Update your car; It is important to update your address on your driving licence, car insurance and other vehicle documents.
4. Ensure the property is clean and have one final check of the property to ensure you haven’t left anything behind.
5. Finally, ensure all doors and windows are locked and hand over all keys to the estate agent.
5 important things to remember when moving in to your new home:
1. Contact utility providers to let them know your move in date and provide correct meter readings to avoid any unpleasant bills.
2. Once you get your move date confirmed start letting people know. You should inform the bank, doctors, your place of work and anywhere else that you correspond with regularly. Also remember to update the electoral register as you will not automatically be registered to vote.
3. Check any smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and familiarise yourself with the location of the fuse box and main water valves.
4. Update your car; It is important to update your address on your driving licence, car insurance and other vehicle documents.
5. Check that the previous owners have provided you with all the keys you will need including any keys for any sheds, conservatories, garages and windows.